Unitarian Universalist worship styles vary by congregation, and within congregations. At MDUUC, you’ll find a blend of tradition and ritual, of contemporary media and spontaneous humanity! Music, the beauty of nature, guided meditation, and silent reflection are woven into the tapestry of our Sunday worship services.
A typical Sunday morning worship service includes:
- Words of welcome
- Lighting a flaming chalice, the symbol of our faith
- A multi-generational segment, such as a “story for all ages”
- Music, both instrumental and vocal and in a variety of styles
- A time for lifting up the joys and concerns of the congregation
- A meditation or prayer
- Readings — ancient or contemporary
- A sermon
- An offering for the congregation or for justice work in the community
From time to time, worships incorporate holiday celebrations, multi-generational plays and pageants, longer musical performances, child dedications, and coming-of-age ceremonies. We offer childcare and learning programs for children and youth during the Sunday service. Dress is casual.