We believe safe and affordable housing is a basic right for all citizens of Contra Costa County. The Homeless and Affordable Housing Committee (HAHC) collaborates with other agencies to work on solutions to provide permanent, safe, and affordable housing to those families and individuals who through economic circumstances are unable to obtain housing in our community in today’s market.
WHAT WE ARE DOING
- Host the Winter Nights Rotating Shelter Program, a project of the Social Justice Alliance of the Interfaith Council of Contra Costa County, for two weeks each winter. This program provides a clean, safe, and warm facility at night and a daytime services center during winter for homeless families with children and homeless seniors. The program serves up to 30 persons at a time. Congregations throughout central and east Contra Costa provide space, meals, and volunteers; Winter Nights provides bedding and professional staff to supervise the shelter 24 hours a day, seven days a week. As a hosting congregation, MDUUC provides site volunteers, meals, and supplies.
- Partner with Contra Costa Interfaith Housing (CCIH) in its mission to provide permanent supportive housing to homeless families with members who have disabilities.
- Partner with Trinity Center to provide assistance to homeless singles through food, clothing, and counseling as they strive to become productive members of society.
- Work with the Multifaith ACTION Coalition of Contra Costa County on advocacy to address the systemic issues of poverty, particularly to find solutions to the housing shortage in our communities.
- Support Shelter, Inc., as this organization works to house the homeless and provide them with emergency services.
- Support the East Bay Housing Organizations in its advocacy for housing solutions in Contra Costa County.
- Support the Walnut Creek Homeless Community Task Force.
- Hold Back-Pack and Adopt-a-Family drives to provide school supplies and holiday gifts for stressed families
- Provide meals for tenant meetings and holiday parties for families in the CCIH community
- Provide tutors and summer camp programs to assist school children of CCIH families during the school year
- Collect food, clothing, and personal items for Trinity Center members
- Provide lunches and special programming for Trinity Center women members on the third and fifth Wednesdays of the month
- Participate as a member congregation in the Multifaith ACTION Coalition of Contra Costa County Homeless and Shelter Task Force working on solutions to the shortage of housing that is affordable in Contra Costa County
- Volunteer in the annual county Point in Time count of the homeless
- Host an EBHO Affordable Housing Week public seminar on housing issues
- Attend Contra Costa Board of Supervisor and various city council meetings to advocate on affordable housing and homeless issues